Abhimanyu Easwaran issues an official statement after being ignored for New Zealand Tests

Crystal

3 YEARS
3 YEARS OF SERVICE
LEVEL 1 100 XP
Abhimanyu Easwaran, Duleep Trophy, Duleep Trophy 2024,

West Bengal batter Abhimanyu Easwaran has broken silence after being ignored for the three-match home Test series against New Zealand.

Abhimanyu Easwaran also reacted to rumors of replacing Rohit Sharma, who is likely to miss the first Test of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy (BGT) due to personal reasons.

Easwaran has been in exceptional form in red-ball cricket. He has scored four consecutive centuries in his last four matches.

The batter recently scored a century in the Ranji Trophy match against Uttar Pradesh. He scored 191 against Mumbai in the Irani Cup along with two centuries in the Duleep Trophy.

I’ve To Continue Playing Ranji Trophy - Abhimanyu Easwaran​

Abhimanyu Easwaran was once again ignored by the India selectors for the Test series against New Zealand. In a conversation with the Indian Express, the Bengal opener said that his snub gave him clarity about his future. Easwaran stated that he wouldn't alter his usual preparation just because he wasn't selected.

"I had clarity that now I’ve to continue playing Ranji Trophy. So I just went back to my preparation and made sure that I didn’t do anything different just because I didn’t get a call-up. If something is going on in my mind I have a chat with my friends or my coach and get it out of my head," Easwaran said.

Rohit Sharma To Miss First Test Of BGT 2024-25 Series​

According to a recent PTI report, Rohit Sharma may miss the first Test against Australia in the upcoming Border-Gavaskar series. Abhimanyu Easwaran is considered a strong candidate to replace Rohit during the Perth Test. Ruturaj Gaikwad is also in the race for the backup opener for the series.

Easwaran has amassed over 7,500 runs in 99 first-class matches, including 27 centuries and 29 fifties. He was part of the India squad for tours to England and the WTC final in 2021 but didn't get a chance to make his debut. The opener was last with the team during the South Africa tour last December.

It Will Give An Extra Advantage - Abhimanyu Easwaran​

Ruturaj is set to captain the India A team in a practice match against the India squad before the Australia series. Easwaran is also likely to be part of the India A squad. He said that this is a valuable experience to acclimate to the playing conditions in Australia in preparation for the Test series.

"You are playing in conditions where the Test series will be played. So you have the chance to get used to it. Even if you are going to get one game, you will not feel out of place. It will give an extra advantage," Easwaran said.

Easwaran scored an unbeaten 127 runs in Bengal's Ranji Trophy 2024-25 opener against Uttar Pradesh. He had a disappointing outing in the first innings, where he managed 15 runs. Easwaran bounced back with a century in the second innings at the Ekana Stadium in Lucknow on Monday, October 14.

Also read: IND vs AUS: Rohit Sharma claims selectors don't want to pick 'undercooked' Mohammed Shami

Members

Threads

Back